Rocky Mountaineer has officially launched their luxury train route in the USA! They’ll have a limited number of departures from August-October 2021, and then have a full schedule starting April 2022.
Experience the Southwest by luxury train on Rocky Mountaineer’s newest route, Rockies to the Red Rocks. From vast canyons and chromatic deserts, to red sandstone landscapes that twist through the bright blue sky, this stunning rail route is filled with highlights best seen from the fantastic expansive glass-dome coaches.
The two-day train journey travels between Denver, Colorado to Moab, Utah with an overnight stay in Glenwood Springs, Colorado. Glide over the Great Divide as you toast champagne among friends. Witness the enchanting hoodoos, spires and spectacular landscapes while learning the history of the region. Highlights from this route includes Mount Garfield, Ruby Canyon, the Continental Divide, Moffat Tunnel, Byers Canyon and Mount Peale. Experience all the breathtaking scenery while enjoying world-class service and regionally-inspired cuisine. Get the sense of adventure you crave, with the exceptional service you deserve on this journey of a lifetime.
What to expect on the new Rocky Mountaineer USA route
Onboard Rocky Mountaineer, everything is choreographed to make your journey feel special, effortless and unforgettable. On their newest route, Rockies to the Red Rocks, their expansive SilverLeaf Service glass-dome coaches put you right in the heart of the stunning Southwest. From the comfort of your luxury seat, this journey of a lifetime offers impeccable service and storytelling from engaging Hosts, regionally-inspired cuisine, and a front row seat to one of the most spectacular settings on the planet.
Enhance your onboard experience with SilverLeaf Plus, which includes all the benefits of the exceptional SilverLeaf Service, plus exclusive access to the newly renovated lounge car. Only 50 SilverLeaf Plus packages will be sold per departure, and SilverLeaf Plus is seated in a separate carriage.
Featuring a mixologist who will carefully craft signature cocktails, the Silverleaf Plus lounge car offers additional space indoors to relax and soak in the scenery as it passes you by, as well as a small outdoor viewing area. Also, enjoy an elevated dining experience with an additional course during select meals, and premium alcoholic beverages.
What’s included on the new Rocky Mountaineer USA route
- All meals, drinks, snacks, and guides onboard the train
- Your base fare includes 2 days on the train and 1 overnight in Glenwood Springs. You can create different packages that include additional hotel accommodations in Moab or Denver as well, or you can DIY once you arrive in Moab.
What’s different from a Canadian Rockies journey vs the USA route
- The tunnels on this train route are too small for double-deck trains, so there is no Goldleaf Service. Those looking for a little extra glamor should consider the Silverleaf Plus package to get access to the exclusive lounge car!
- All passengers take meals at their seats (no separate dining car).
- Small outdoor viewing platforms are available at the rear of each train carriage, for about 3-4 people at a time.
- Unlike in the Canadian Rockies, almost all hotels in the package are within walking distance of the train stations. In Denver and Glenwood Springs, coach transfers are not automatically added to your package but are available if you have mobility concerns. Make sure to discuss this with your travel advisor!
Good to know:
- This is the only luxury train trip in the USA and the only passenger train that goes to Moab.
- You can take this route in either direction – Denver to Moab, or Moab to Denver.
- 2021 is considered a preview season and there are only a limited number of departures from August-October. In 2022 there will be a full departure schedule from April-October.
- Moab to Salt Lake City is 4 hours drive, and Moab to Las Vegas is 6.5 hours drive.
- Rocky Mountaineer trains are wheelchair accessible and ADA compliant.
- If traveling westbound, you’ll board the train in Denver around 9am, and partake in a sumptuous breakfast. Later you’ll enjoy a 3 course lunch, and beverage and snack service throughout the day. 60% of the journey follows the Colorado River.
- You’ll arrive in Glenwood Springs around 5pm. Day 1 is all about canyon scenery!
- You do not sleep on the train. All routes, whether Eastbound or Westbound, stop in Glenwood Springs for the evening and include an overnight hotel in your fare.
- On Day 2, you’ll depart Glenwood Springs at approximately 7am with a two-course breakfast (and alcohol served after 10am), arriving in Moab around 12pm. If staying overnight in Moab your transfer is about 15 minutes. Day 2 features mountain vistas, desert cliffs, and red rock formations!
- Glenwood Springs, where you’ll spend the night regardless of which route direction, is a resort town with shops, hiking, and restaurants. All hotels here are within walking distance of dining options.
- Note: if traveling eastbound and starting your journey in Moab, the train will depart approximately 2pm and includes dinner on the eastbound route before arriving at Glenwood Springs.
The hospitable town of Moab is the gateway to two national parks – Canyonlands National Park and Arches National Park. Dinosaur trails and tracksuits are also nearby. Mountain biking, scenic byways, rock art tours, river activities, ATV tours, horseback riding, and dark sky viewing are all available in the area. Plan on spending a few days in Moab before or after your train ride on the Rocky Mountaineer to fully appreciate these incredible national parks!
Moab: The Hooddoo Moab, Hyatt Place, Hilton Homewood Suites
Glenwood Springs: The Hotel Denver, The Hotel Colorado, Glenwood Hot Springs Resort
Denver: The Maven Hotel, The Crawford Hotel, The Oxford Hotel
Sample packages for the new Rocky Mountaineer USA route:
- You can book the train portion and do the rest of your itinerary independently or there are some packages to choose from if you’d like to bundle the rest of your vacation.
- Packages with Rocky Mountaineer include either a car rental for a self-drive itinerary or exclusive tour coach buses to transfer you to your end destination and explore the national parks if you’d like to have more of a guided tour component.
At last, a Rocky Mountaineer USA route for a luxury train trip!
I’m thrilled about this new route as it’s a wonderful option for travelers without passports or who wish to explore the USA more fully, and it’s fantastic for train aficionados who love traveling in style! If you’ve always wanted to take a Rocky Mountaineer trip train, reach out to me by filling out a contact request form HERE and let’s discuss which Rocky Mountaineer route suits you the best!
Looking for information on the Canadian Routes? Check out my articles here:
- How to choose a route on the Rocky Mountaineer
- Why I love recommending Rocky Mountaineer to my clients
- Find out more about Rocky Mountaineer’s current Flexible Booking Policy.